Saturday, October 12th
Inis Oírr, Aran Islands
This beautiful site brings many visitors to Inis Oírr each year. The Inis Oírr (Inisheer) Lighthouse is an Operational Aid to navigation marking in the southern approaches to Galway Bay. This is one of three on the Aran Islands, the others being Straw Island Lighthouse and Eeragh Lighthouse.
The Commissioners of Irish Lights (CIL) is the authority for all of Ireland’s Lighthouses and Marine Aids for its islands and adjacent seas. The authority maintains 72 Lighthouses of which many are fitted with low energy new technology and 142 navigational buoys around Ireland, all of which are solar powered and fitted with LED lanterns.
The first lighthouse on The Aran Islands was built in 1818 near Dun Oghil on Inis Mor. In 1850 permission was granted to construct the lighthouse on Inis Oirr. The tower and dwelling was constructed with local crystalline limestone which gives it its distinguishing coloured bands. The lights were displayed for the first time on December 1st, 1857.
Information cited from the Brochure An Teach Solas, Commissioners of Irish Lights, 2013.